Monday, June 28, 2010

Eight Days with the Sumilaos

March 29-April 6, 2009



I only knew that they were the group of farmers who marched all the way from Bukidnon to Manila to protest for their land ownership.


I went to San Vicente, Bukidnon with no agenda or mission. I just told Geo I wanted to go with her when she emailed me her “business trips”: Davao by late February and then CDO-Bukidnon late March/early April with Cheenee (Geo’s friend from Ateneo). All I wanted was to continue my goal of “escaping from my world”, because we all know that by going out of your comfort zone means experiencing more, thus more life-lessons.


Here are the top distinct memories of this trip:

1. The Delayed Flight
4.30 am flight: Cheenee texted mewho slept over at Geo's house, that our friend was not feeling well and can’t come with usThe series of unfortunate events led to another, it's my first time to meet Cheenee and we weren't that close then, plus we were late for check in and got left by our plane! We had to pay around a couple of blue bills (P4000!) to re-book for being 5 minutes late, I actually cried right there in the airport and was even planning to not join this trip anymore! Airport drama!!!


 Early morning in the airport.

Finally boarded the second flight.

The girl next to me. I forgot her name, but I love meeting friendly people.
We had a great conversation during our plane ride, and even told her about that morning's fiasco.
I realized that I can travel alone with people like her, whom you can talk with.

2. The Families
The moment I walked in their lands, the families were the first ones who welcomed us. We were brought to the different houses, which are all friends of Cheenee, Geo, and Kring. They all know each other there, and the whole community is very hospitable. For the whole trip, we had one house for each area:
“Taas”— in the house of Tatay Peter and Nanay Luning, 
“Baba”—in the house of Ate Bebeth. 

They are families that are both active in attending the community events like the basketball league and parade we were able to witness. Their favorite past-time are watching TV, drinking, and videoke! They always drink at night, especially for the farmers, after their all-day hardwork under the sun. I also tried their "medicinal" alcoholic drink Fighter, which tastes like cough syrup! :D

Sumilao March all-over again?
Nah, this is for their basketball league!

Medicinal? 
I had a taste of their nightly alcoholic beverage!





3. The Vegetarian-friendly Foods
Anywhere we go, they always serve vegetables! But of course, they are farmers! They serve their own crops to us, and there was a time when Niniel got an egg under our bed! I also love their creative ways of cooking. It was my first time to try monggo (beans) mixed with egg! It was super good!

They also get coconuts straight from the tree--the juice was really good and fresh! We also had a taste of their fiesta where Geo and I went from house-to-house. Turns out that fiesta was a time when they cook meat! But they'll always cook vegetables for me coz they never forget I am a vegetarian. :)

Our Sumilao farmer friend Niniel climbs that high coconut tree!

Fresh Coconut Juice!

Slaying the pig!



4. Taas and Baba
In taas (Up), the setting is really quiet like a typical farm life. The view is beautiful, I remember waking up and seeing right in front of me a window framing the beautiful farm lands and mountains. Geo, who had been here a lot of times already, said that when your goal for the trip is to relax, you should stay in Taas. We slept there for the first 2 nights and our last night.


Picture Perfect View outside the window.

Welcome to the house where we stayed in! :)
A nipa hut!

The weather is typical-Manila during morning till afternoon, but when night dawns, it was airconditioned-like cold that you'll need a jacket to sleep! I love waking up when we stay in Taas, the air is fresh, plus they always serve us with their organic coffee. We also get to experience harvesting cassava and watering onions on our stay there!



Trying out "farming" outside Farmville! :)

On the other hand, Baba (Under/Below) is where all the happenings occur. It's like their "city" where more people go to. In Baba, we were able to attend an elementary graduation, a communal baptism, the fiesta, had a manicure, learned their beadworks and coffee grinding, plus go to a mini carnival!

Tried learning their bead works...I am an accessories maker, but theirs was complicated!

A school.

Having a manicure!

Coffee making! Geo and Cheenee were there to help develop Sumilao corn coffee into a marketable product! :)

House-to-house food trips during the fiesta!

Riding a ferris wheel with the kids in their fiesta carnival!

My betting addiction was tolerated here!

A disco during their week-long fiesta celebration!


4. Bathing
There was a time we tried bathing on where the locals usually go to: “Tugib”. It's a public place in the middle of mountains and forests where one can wash their clothes, get water for drinking, and take a bath. And since it's in the "middle of nowhere" we actually had to trek before getting there, that when you get back to your house you actually want to take a bath again!

We can also bathe in Taas where they have this rectangular space enclosed with patched woods and sacks. This comfort room is separated from the house, usually outside their back door. They have a very low toilet, plus you have to wear your clothes when bathing since the space wasn't fully covered. It was better though than hiking to Tugib!




Cold Water! Bathing in Tugib with Cheenee and Geo!

6. The Kids
Geo told me that she is closest with the mothers of Sumilao. I always listen when Geo asks them for stories and updates, coz the shy-type in me can't even start a conversation. I guess I am more fond of the kids!

They just love the camera! They'll pose right away every time I point my shutter to their direction. They also love dancing, watching TV, and cheering me when I sang in the videoke-session! They also become our instant body guards from strangers when we're out at night, plus they're always around! I love treating them with ice buko/ice candy/fruit salad!!!/candies/gum/cheese lumpia/soft drinks/chichiria and other junk foods, which were so cheap in their place!


 Ayla drew me on the floor. =) They are the sweetest!

On our way to the coconut area!

My playmates love the camera!


***
To my future travel buddy:


Get ready to cry buckets.


On our last day in the Sumilao Farm, I felt the loneliness Geo told me when she first visited and left the site. I wasn't able to hug Tatay Peter and Nanay Luning because I was afraid I might cry.


Tatay: Ana wag niyong kakalimutan ang sumilao a. (Ana, don't forget Sumilao a)


Before leaving, they even gave us things we can take home with us like "souvenirs". There's a small broom that they made and a crotched bag. Really, they taught me that generosity doesn't involve being rich! While walking to the bus, the kids went with us again. Cheenee was with Niniel her boyfriend, Geo was with a mother and some kids, while I walked alone till the little girls Cacai and Ayla walked along with me saying Dito nalang kami sayo at lagi kang nahuhuli. (we will stay here with you since you're always left behind)

Then somebody said "Mamimiss namin kayo!" (We will miss you!). I was touched. I’ve known them as the group of farmers who marched all the way from Bukidnon to Manila to protest for their land ownership… But Geo reintroduced them to me as my new summer family and friends. 





13 comments:

  1. Anagon dear, this looks like fun.
    I have missed reading about you.
    I love you very much.



    LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tywo and Hot Girl for appreciating! This blog is not updated already, but your nice comments inspire me to work on this travel journal again :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ana. Love your blog. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! Thank you sir rick!!! I am a big fan of your sports articles, especially the behind the scenes! :D Thank you for leaving a comment!!! :D *faints*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Didnt know you had a travel blog! This looks totally epic! i regret always being too busy to actually go out and see the Philippines while i was still there. There are a lot of amazing places there. Good luck and i'll be looking forward to more adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hopefully u update this one soon! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha! :D Honey tweeted me na you followed this blog! :) Inspired to continue this site this year! :D Thank you Zee, and goodluck with your own new online space!!! ;)))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photos! I like the one of the farm! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks like a really incredible experience!! LOVE IT :)

    xx

    natalieoffduty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. awesome!!! first time, followed you :D

    katrina

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great photos! Looked like such a fun and enjoyable trip!

    xoxo,
    Suzie Q
    www.StyleCueBySuzieQ.com

    ReplyDelete

"In the end, the journey is the destination." -Whitey, OTH