Thursday, June 24, 2010

Like being whirled in a giant washing machine.

Sidetrip to CDO, not the corned beef brand (haha). March 31-April 1.


My trip to Cagayan De Oro, which I now fondly call CDO, was actually just a segue for a longer trip in its nearby province: Bukidnon. Although I've stepped in this city, where there is an airport, we went right away to Bukidnon. So I was in between a vacation with my domestic trip-buddy Geo and her friend Cheenee in the farms, living with the farmers of Sumilao, and in the the middle of it, we rode a bus going to the city. It was a long ride, plus the bus wasn't air conditioned so our faces were all dusty by the time we reached CDO.

Lost in Transition.

In a few days in Bukidnon, I started getting used to "The Simple Life": like sleeping in a high hut, eating rice and vegetables everyday, and using the typical outdoor restrooms of deep provinces (made of wood walls, and no lights at night!). Stories will go to another blog entry, so watch out!:) Anyway, so when we reached a commercialized area like CDO, I was really eager to eat pasta again! We arrived just in time for dinner, and I ordered pasta at a neat local diner called P. Joes. 

 For Dine In Please! A different city-dinner with Geo, Cheenee, and Niniel after being on the countryside for days!

That night, we stayed over at the house of Cheenee's aunt. Cheenee's family is actually from Cagayan de Oro, and she also speaks in Bisaya. :) The night was restless because of the mosquitoes, but when I used the bathroom, it was like using a tiled restroom for the first time! :D In Bukidnon, we had to go trekking a mountain to take a bath!

High Five!


The next day was the biggest adventure of my life! Geo and Cheenee planned a White Water Rafting activity for the four of us, handled by a group of pro paddlers. These organizers are all-over the internet, and it's actually cool to have them around since they'll handle the pick up and going back-to, all the stuff we need, plus they'll give pointers pre-rafting. 

 Survivor Cagayan de Oro. Pre-adventure lecture.

 
Thought Balloon: Will it really be that hard that we need to have an orientation? *knees suddenly shaking*


Aside from that, they are usually bunch of humorous guys, making up stories and names for each rapid we encounter. "Para hindi kayo mabore!" (So you won't get bored!) They said we only had the "beginners" stage in white water rafting. That was why they made us do all sorts of things for every stops: 

1. like getting us to stand up all together when encountering the rapids (they really aim to make us fall from the boat!), 


Balancing Act. 
Pray that you're beside and at the back of someone strong enough to pull yourself.

2. getting showered with small water falls (which hurts, I tell you), 


Poor Drenched Kid. Oh boy, was that me? Yes.

3. to jumping from a tall rock formation to the river (I think this is where I lost my contact lenses--which turned out to be just there on the other side of my eye--it went there, seriously! So when you're a contact-lens-wearer who is going to white water raft, a piece of advice from me to you: Don't wear them.), 

 In the count of what? 1-2-3.....JUMP!

 To whom it may concern. I'm alive! :D

4. and of course, the highlight of the whole paddling and standing and swimming: They asked for volunteers, only those who want to jump straight into the rapids!

 The three brave(???) ladies. The only ones who jumped out of the boat to the rapids!

I wasn't prepared on what to expect, and how to deal, that the moment my body touched the waters, I was swirling and twirling and being thrown against rocks by strong waters!  Like being whirled in a giant washing machine. We had on our helmets (thank God!), our life vests kept us afloat, but the whole time I was panicking, memories of the good times flashing in my head (just kidding!). 

Lunch was provided by the guides, and at dinner time and back in the cite,we tried CDO's famous "night cafe": a long outdoor strip of inihaw stalls (grilled) in the town-center. I realized that I acquired some minor leg-bruises, and a toe hurts, but that drowning moment was the-most-talked-about whenever Geo and I recall our CDO quest.



***
To my future travel buddy:

Stalker Alert!

If you're wondering how we acquired all the photos while we're all busy paddling for our dear lives (haha), the guides actually offer a documentation of the whole event. I think it was pricey, but in the long run, P1000 per head (for the photos and videos only) is actually worth it.
Hope we get on to Level 2 of White Water Rafting in the future, or better yet, spend more days in CDO and try its other adventure-activities!

2 comments:

  1. Wow it looks so much fun sis! Worth it nga yun 1k in the long run, kasi it's nearly impossible for you to take photos while you're doing it eh :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Krissy! :) Syempre now ko lang nacheck out tong reply mo hahaha :D Hope to see ya sooon!!!

    ReplyDelete

"In the end, the journey is the destination." -Whitey, OTH