Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Experiencing Freedom in the Land of the Free


My first time to go out of the country without a family member *ahem* and with my own money *ahem* was April 21 to 24, 2008. Mid-summer, and nothing to do since it was already a year since I graduated college, my friend Marj (who was on summer break from Med school then) persuaded me to an out-of-the-country getaway. The businessera (business-minded) that I am suggested BANGKOK right away, since I was imagining all sorts of great finds like clothes and whatnots that I can buy there and resell in my online shop. ;) Wais! (smart-ass, haha)


Bangkok proved itself as a busy-as-Manila city, there were heavy traffics too when we were there, and of course, shopping malls and markets can be found everywhere, like Starbucks sprouting in every corner of Makati! We just have to go out of our hotel (literally downstairs) and right there and then: we have in front of us their very own Green Hills or Tutuban! :D

The Market Shopaholic!
Plastics and Plastics of clothes, bags, umbrellas, etcetera!


We ended up going home with heavy luggages, so it's always safe not to opt for Go-Lite promos of airline companies when going to shopping-haven like Bangkok. Also, if only I knew then, I would have brought with me my own shopping bags, the amount of plastics we accumulated from our shopaholic-adventures were too much to make our Mother Earth cry. =/ Be patient with haggling, it's like dealing with our own Divisoria sales ladies, plus the language barrier! There was a time that my friend and the sales lady were already arguing in their own native tongues--it was serious then, but funny when we were just talking about it now! :D

And of course, since I already brought up haggling and Divi--it's better to get by wholesale to get more discounts! :-) We were able to purchase 12 leather bags for around P3600 only! :) ($80 for 12 bags)

One of the many malls you'll find in Bangkok.

No Extra Pounds.
We have soooo many bags and luggages, but we were lucky not to pay for excess baggage! :)

Aside from fashion items, Bangkok is also known for their dried goodies. I love their sampaloc and dried fruits! :D It's a must-try, and were even offered by weight in malls like in MBK.

Anagon and the Dried Goodies Factory.
I can't decide what to buy! :) Even the sampaloc have varieties!

I realized that we went around the city mostly by cab. There were cabs who offered touring us (for extra charges), but we declined politely but firmly since some can be too insistent. Those times we went from one shopping mall to another, a market here and there, we were able to unconsciously soak ourselves already in this city's own modern culture.  Even a right-side driver was already culture-shocking, in a fun way! :)

We weren't able to indulge too much on food though, since I was a fresh-low-earning-graduate then, I chose the shopping part over eating on expenses-priority. We always bought instant noodles and even rice meals in 7Eleven--which is everywhere! 

Cheap Thrill.
Eating my Thai instant noodles in our hotel room, also while watching game shows and telenovelas in Thai! 
It was fun, and thank God for hotel complimentary water and coffee! ;)

And lastly, as much as Bangkok is all about being a big-spender (haha), we also had a half-day tour and went to the Grand Palace and a canal boat tour of the Chao Praya River. We had a tour guide, who was also part of the package we took, so we had no problems with transfers. I can't fully understand her English, though. But she was really nice, and she loves taking our pictures around the place filled with temples, gold structures, and residences of former kings. 

In the Grand Palace, they made us wear long skirts as part of their conservative traditions.
Though I was wearing an above-the-knee dress, there were ladies who offered sarongs outside the place, for a fee. It was also a nice experience to try.


Going to Thailand that time felt freeing for me--like "escaping" my home for something different. As I titled this entry. (Thailand's phrase "Land of the Free" takes pride of being the only Southeast Asian country that wasn't colonized by Europe), it is an experience that made me realize that I am now past student and youngster life. I like the feeling of trying to live independently. I guess this trip actually triggered my desire to go all-out with traveling, no matter how bank-draining this is. It was worth it! :)



***
To my future travel buddy:
My number one tip to enjoy Bangkok even on a budget:
Book in a good hotel.

Yup, you read that right. Now how can a good hotel be of help when you're on a budget? In two words: BREAKFAST BUFFET. I load up on this free breakfast (well, not exactly free, but you wouldn't feel spending when it's part of the hotel's package right?) and you'll never get too hungry till it's dinner time already. The plus is, when you get to taste some exotic dishes too! :)

Just the first serving of the many more to come! :)

Dragon Fruit.
Not available in my hometown, so I was interested to taste this exotic fruit available in the buffet! :-) Reminded me of kiwi!

6 comments:

  1. I super love this blog sis! And I noticed you have a photo of text from David Sedaris' book! Is that from the book I gave you? :)

    Cute ng dragonfruit! It's my first time to see what it looks like in real life, cute kasi ng sa Restaurant City game eh XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes sis!!! :) I love love that book super, I wanted to reread it again :) :) Thank you so much, ang tagal ko na gusto uli bumili ng sedaris book, but my kuripot mode is starting again ;p
    Hahahah! Wah hindi ako naka play ng Resto City!! :p Yun dish sa cafe world na Cuishe ba yun?? that one i tried nun nakakakita ako sa isang rockwell resto, haha cute sa personal! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. how i wish i could also travel around the world like you..hehehehe,.. well, i'm still studying.. and i will earn money first before traveling around the world..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Princess :) When you're working na, you'll get to travel with your own money na :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow!! want t bring my whole fam. here!! goodluck sa budget!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow!! want t bring my whole fam. here!! goodluck sa budget!

    http://andrewbaler.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete

"In the end, the journey is the destination." -Whitey, OTH